Update! This giveaway is closed! Congrats to Roxann
Disclosure: The Children’s Guide and Sweepstakes prizes were provided by Fox Home Entertainment. Dancing Hotdogs is a Fox Home Entertainment Insider.
To help celebrate today’s release of Dragons: Riders of Berk Volumes 1 and 2 here is a children’s guide to Vikings brought to you by the hero’s of Berk:
Hiccup, Astrid, and the other teens at the Dragon Academy show us a bit about what it was like to live as a Viking, but there is so much more to know! Come take a look at this quick and easy guide to some of the most important facts about Viking life.
When it comes to action and excitement, the sky’s the limit in this high-flying animated adventure based on the Academy Award®-nominated hit movie How To Train Your Dragon!
Vikings at Sea
Not all Vikings travel by dragon like they do in Berk! Vikings built great, big boats called longships for war. Each one could carry at least 60 men! Even though they were so large, Viking longships were designed to be speedy and could move through the water much faster than other boats.
Vikings from Denmark, Norway, and Sweden dress a lot like Vikings from Berk, but with more layers. To stay warm in the cold winters, Vikings wore clothes made of wool, animal skin, or linen and shoes made of thick leather or goatskin. In battle, they wore helmets made of leather or iron.
Vikings really knew how to make the most of their surroundings! Houses were built of stone, mud, and blocks of turf. They made thatched roofs from woven
sticks covered in mud. Vikings probably wouldn’t let dragons sleep in their houses the way Toothless does!
The Vikings in Berk get to go to the Dragon Academy to learn about how to become better dragon trainers. Instead of going to school, real Viking kids stayed home to help their parents work. Even without school and books, children could learn about history through songs and stories passed down from the older members of the town.
The dragons in Berk eat fish, veggies, and bread given to them by their riders. Vikings ate similar foods, but also enjoyed meat from farm animals or wild animals that they would hunt. They drank out of wooden cups or drinking horns. Sometimes they had feasts for festivals that would last over a week!
In addition, we are also giving away ONE copy of Dragons: Riders of Berk Volumes 1 and 2 DVDs to a lucky reader.
One (1) Dancing Hotdogs.com readers will win a copy of Dragons: Riders of Berk Volumes 1 and 2 DVDs.
Just leave me a comment on which Viking fact above was the most interesting to you.(And leave your email in the comment so I can easily reach you.)
Other ways to win and increase your chances of winning?
- Post this give-away information on Facebook (1 entry, please leave link in comment)
- Give our Facebook page a “Like” (leave a comment)
- follow @dancinghotdogs on twitter (leave a comment)
- follow @DaddyUprising on twitter (leave a comment)
- follow @rosadancing on twitter (leave a comment)
- follow @DisneyFiles on twitter (leave a comment)
- follow @TrumpetingMedia on twitter (leave a comment)
- Subscribe to DancingHotdogs.com.( please leave link in comment)
- follow our Youtube page (leave a comment)
- follow our Pinterest page (leave a comment)
- Retweet the giveaway post (1 entry per day please leave link in comment)
- Post this give-away information on your favorite sweepstakes or blog site. (please leave link in comment)
Sweepstakes/Giveaway Contest begins July 23, 2013 and ends at 9:00 p.m. ET p.m. ET on August 9, 2013. Open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia who are 18 years of age or older at time of entry. Giveaway winner will be selected using Random.org from among all eligible entries received during the Giveaway and will have 48 hours to respond and confirm his/her prize. See Official Rules Below.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
HOW TO ENTER: Giveaway begins July 23, 2013 and ends at 9:00 p.m. ET p.m. ET on August 9, 2013. Open (“Giveaway”). The winners of the “Dragons: Riders of Berk Volume 1 and 2 DVDs” will be selected at random using www.random.org. The winner will be contacted by e-mail and will have 48 hours to respond and confirm his/her prize of one (1) “Dragons: Riders of Berk Volume 1 and 2 DVD” Total ARV: $40.00 for the giveaway may not participate with multiple e-mail addresses. Any entrant who attempts to enter with multiple e-mail addresses, under multiple identities or uses any other device will be disqualified from participation in the promotion and all entries submitted by that entrant will be void.
1. ELIGIBILITY: Open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia who are18 years of age or older at time of entry. Employees of Sponsor, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies and their immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of each are not eligible to participate. No P.O. Boxes please.
WINNER SELECTION: Giveaway winners will be selected at random on or about August 9, 2013 from among all eligible entries received during the Giveaway.
2. Winners will be determined by the Sponsor. Winners will be notified by email. In the event the Sponsor is unable to contact the winner within 48 hours of first notification, prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner selected.
3. PRIZES/APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUES: “Dragons: Riders of Berk Volume 1 and 2 DVDs” ARV: $40.00. Odds of winning Giveaway prize depend on total number of eligible entries received during the Giveaway. Unclaimed prizes will not be awarded. Limit one (1) prize per person for each promotion. Giveaway sweepstakes for tickets only winner responsible for all transportation and accommodation costs.
4. GENERAL: Subject to all federal, state and local laws/regulations. Neither Sponsor, nor its affiliates will have any liability whatsoever for any injuries, losses or damages of any kind caused by any prize or resulting from acceptance, possession, use and/or misuse of any prize or participation in these promotions. Acceptance of a prize shall be construed as and signify the winner’s agreement and consent that Sponsor may use the winner’s name, voice, likeness and/or prize information, without limitation, for promotional purposes without further consideration, review, approval or payment, where allowed by law. By participating in this promotion, entrants agree to be bound by the Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding in all respects. Sponsor not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer or in administration of the promotion.
5. INTERNET: Sponsor is not responsible for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by Sponsor on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or any combination thereof. If for any reason the promotions are not capable of running as planned for any reason Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes and select the winners by random drawing from among all eligible entries received from all methods combined up to the point of the action taken by the Sponsor.
6. Winners names will be available no later than August 15, 2013 via announcement on DancingHotdogs.com
7. SPONSOR: DancingHotdogs.com and Fox Home Entertainment.