Disclosure: We were asked to spend two nights aboard the Quantum of the Seas as media and all meal expenses covered. This post represents my own opinion and experiences with the products.
Royal Caribbean’s latest ship is the first of a brand new class of ships the sail the seas: Quantum Class. This new class represents the latest in technological advancements allowing them to be called the world first “Smart” ships. Currently there are two ships in this class, the first being the Quantum of the Seas. As luck should have it D and I were one of the first people (excluding the crew) to get an opportunity to sale on the ship and enjoy the luxury that is cruising with Royal Caribbean.
Cruising is all about the experiences.
Contained within the same ship for day or weeks on end you get to know the people of the crew and the passengers as well. The great thing is that by the end you make friends with some random people throughout the ship, some of which you carry on even after you leave. This is one of my favorite things about going on a cruise.
Another thing about experiences are the different ones you can have all over the ship. With Quantum of the Seas, Royal Caribbean has tried to give passenger so many different options on how they can enjoy their time at sea and that doesn’t even include the island excursions.
Some of our favorite experiences during our time on the Ship have to include the following:
1) iFly-If you every wanted to go sky diving, but didn’t want to worry about things like small scary planes and physically jumping out said plane, then ifly is just right for you. It basically is a sky diving simulation. All it takes is a 5 minute video at the beginning to learn the various signals and the position you must be in, then it right to the simulator where fortunately your instructor will help you into the right form and assist you when you get in trouble. One of the more amazing things I saw was when an elderly lady when into the simulator proving that there is no age limit to having a great time.
2) North Star-The only one of its kind at sea, the North Star takes you far above the ship and gives you a 360 degree view of your surroundings, imaging a fully retractable London Eye at sea.
3) With the Quantum of the Seas, Royal has also introduced Dynamic Dining. Instead of the standard dinner time and locations which has been the tradition on most ships Dynamic Dining gives you the ability to eat where and when you want. All you have to do is create reservation and you are ready to go. Quantum of the Seas has 4 complementary dinner locations each with their own feel and experience. That is not to mentions the multiple specialty dining restaurants including Jamie Oliver’s first restaurant at seas as well as the wonderfully wacky Wonderland restaurant.
4) Seaplex-The first full sized sport complex is complete with ping pong tables and sporting gear. Yet the most exciting thing about the complex are the great activities you can play in the main area including basketball and roller-skating (blading) or for the first time bumper cars.
But if you really want to enjoy the true ship experiences you have to try out these off the beaten path tips. (Note we surveyed and interviewed various passengers and crew members to find the secret and amazing activities that most people miss out when they cruise):
- Two70-This is the lounge area at the rear of the ship. The great thing about this area is that it house one of the ship’s great shows as well. What makes this area a hidden treasure is the large glass back wall, It gets its name as it gives you a full 270 degree view of the outside. All you need to do is sit with a drink and enjoy a beautiful sunset.
- The Spa- While this might be a no brainer for women, there is a number of great things for the men there too from the steam room and massages, on top of this the spa also has a 10/20/30 percent discount structure meaning 10% for the first treatment, 20% in the second and 30% for the third treatment. My favorite has to be the shave and facial treatment. This includes a full service facial and shave as on top of a forearm and hand massage for the ultimate in relaxation.
- Seaplex-While the roller-skating and bumper cars take all the headlines, if you sneak up to the second level of the you will find a couple of room fully stocked with a number of Xbox One’s attached to 50 inch flat screens. Passenger can play a number of multiplayer games online with each other and around the world through the ships wireless internet network.
In the upcoming weeks, we will be sharing more videos and cruise highlights. SO STAY TUNED!